Monday, May 2, 2016

CANDYLAND by Evan Hunter and Ed McBain

Finished Tu 4/26/16

This was one of my books that has sat on the shelves for many years, and never read. I bought it at the library book sale on Sa 6/10/06.

This is one of the best books that I've read in a very long time. I really loved it! However, I really didn't understand that 'trick' until I consulted Wikipedia. I knew that Evan Hunter was a penname, but I didn't know who he was. I was mildly shocked when I 're-learned' that Evan Hunter was the less successful name for Salvatore Albert Lombino. He was more widely known as Ed McBain, author of the wildly popular 87th Precinct novels.

Evan writes the first half of the book, and Ed, the second.

The first half is the psychological study of a man who frequents prostitutes. Ben Thorpe is the architect from the west coast who is on business  in NYC, and looking for action.  

The second half of the book is a police procedural about the murder of a prostitute.

The second part begins with the murder of a prostitute who worked at the house that Ben visited, but although he had sex with this woman, he didn't kill her.

The killer is actually one of the vice detectives assigned to the case, James (Jimmy) Morgan. Emma Boyles the Special Victims detective who solves the case and the story is mostly told through her point of view.

Better than any Evan Hunter or any Ed McBain!!!

Link to amazon books-

http://www.amazon.com/Candyland-Novel-Parts-Ed-McBain/dp/B001G7R7L6

No comments:

Post a Comment