Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A LITTLE LIFE by Hanya Yanagihara

Finished We 6/1/16  After the final visit to Dr. High after the hernia procedure.

This novel was recommended by one of the members of The Contemporary Book Club (the sex therapist/nurse?). I had it on hold for many, many weeks and when it came in, because it was so long, I thought I would just read a couple of dozen pages. But, I got hooked, and loved it!

Best novel that I've read in a long while. And, I have watched many videos of the author talking about the book and I plan to get her first book which the library owns. This one also involves child sexual abuse.

Because I was recovering from the hernia procedure, I couldn't do anything, so reading over a hundred pages a day was a pleasure. Did the whole 720 pages in a week.

It's really a Gay Novel, but while I was reading the book, it never crossed my mind. I kind of agree with Willem when he says that he's not gay even though he is in a love/sex relationship with Jude. "Not gay, just in love with Jude".

Willem- Poor rancher family from Wyoming. Parents distant and cold, but not abusive. Loves his younger brother who has cerebral palsy.

Jean Baptist (JB)- Black Haitian who grew up in a family of women who adored him. He is an important artist on the NY scene. He is the most 'out' gay in the novel.

Malcolm- Trust Fund Kid; low key and he pays for all of the stuff when they are younger, but he never rubs it in anyone's face. Becomes a renown architect. He is always renovating Jude and Willem's places. Lispenard/Greene Lower Manhattan.

Jude- Much abused child. First in a monastery- Brother Luke who becomes his pimp; then, kidnapped by a sick psychiatrist, Dr. Traylor. So much 'over the top' abuse that it's hard to take in. He goes on to become a top notch litigator- Take No Prisoners.

Willem dies before Jude, and that was unexpected. He dies in a car accident that also takes out Malcolm and his wife. Jude lives a couple more years and then kills himself. Injects air into a vein.

Link at wikipedia-


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Little_Life

No comments:

Post a Comment