Saturday, June 25, 2016

BULL MOUNTAIN by Brian Panowich

Finished Fr 6/24/16  May 2016 selection for the Contemporary Book Club. I mistakenly ordered this book from a seller in Germany. It took almost two months and when I received the novel, it was in German. I sold the paperback to Prairie Books downtown on the square for a buck and a half. I asked the German vendor how to send the book back, but I didn't hear from them so I sold the book. Then, they said that they had credited my card.

The story is centered on, The Burroughs, a criminal family in rural North Georgia.

Clayton Burroughs is the town sheriff, and seems to be a brother that has gone straight, but he still has terribly violent tendencies. Also, he's a recovering alcoholic with a loose grip on sobriety.

Simon Holly is a rogue ATF agent who tries to bring down the entire clan. He is the illegitimate son of Gareth Burroughs and brother to Clayton.

Simon's mother was a prostitute for the family in the early 70's and was disfigured by Gareth after he slept with her. Even as  young boy, Simon swore that he would avenge this act.

Halford Burroughs is Clayton's older brother and he controls the family's interests up on the mountain.

Oscar Wilcombe is an arms dealer who works with the family. He supplies guns to the clan.

It took me a while to get into the book, but then I was hooked. The story became compelling, but the writing was a bit sub par. Just a tick or two up from the level of a graphic novel. This is a first novel, and it kind of shows. Maybe he'll get better. I'm glad the library bought this one instead of me (that is unless the German seller wants his book back).

No comments:

Post a Comment