Sunday, June 5, 2016

MY ABANDONMENT by Peter Rock

Read and finished Su 6/5/16 One long session on the living room couch after a walk to McD's on MacArthur and before a long walk around the neighborhood. Still recovering from hernia surgery.

On one of the video interviews Hanya Yanagihara felt this novel deserved some attention. I agree.
I borrowed this from the library.


"EVERY PROBLEM I HAVE COMES FROM BELIEVING SOMETHING TO BE TRUE THAT IS NOT TRUE"

Caroline's father has a journal that he writes/copies quotes that are important. I liked that one.

13 year old girl and her father live off the grid in the wilds of Oregon. Some question as to whether he really is her father, but I think I'd follow the storyline. He is taking her from a family after she has been placed in foster care. His wife has died and he couldn't care for his daughter.

The father is killed when they share an abandoned 'yurt' with Susan and Paul. They appear to be mother and son, but they're not. He might be suffering from cancer. Caroline's father's death is mysterious. Did Susan kill him, was she protecting herself from a sexual assault- purposely left unclear. Although, they do leave with Caroline and her father's pack and snowshoes.

author's page on wikipedia-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Rock_(novelist)

What Caroline's horse/doll means according to the author(from Amazon)-

Q: Who is Randy?
A: Randy is a toy horse that Caroline's father gave her. She'd wanted a My Pretty Pony–type doll, and what she got was an acupuncturist's horse model--one side covered in numbers and dots, where the needles would go, and the other side flayed to reveal the horse's bones and organs. Caroline doesn't know what Randy is for; she just loves him and carries him with her. And Randy does exist in my life as well. One way I stayed with Caroline was to have Randy next to me every moment I was writing the book, reminding me of who I was and what was at stake. A small white horse, reassuring me.


I loved the book and would read more by this author

No comments:

Post a Comment