Tuesday, October 26, 2021

RABBIT REDUX by John Updike

 Refinished Mo 10/25/21

This is one of my ancient paperbacks and this copy of the book I had never read. Although, I've read 'RABBIT REDUX' at least one time and I've always loved this book. My fave or the trilogy....and I think I even have a copy of the fourth book- The epilogue. 

The books cover the years 1960 through 1990.

Rabbit and Janice are separated and Harry opens his home to a black radical, Skeeter, and Jill, a rich, hippy run-away from Conneticut. Nelson, Harry's son is now thirteen.

Mim- Harry's younger sister has returned for a visit. She is kind of a high-priced call girl out of Vegas.

From the book's page at Amazon:

"In this sequel to Rabbit, Run, John Updike resumes the spiritual quest of his anxious Everyman, Harry “Rabbit” Angstrom. Ten years have passed; the impulsive former athlete has become a paunchy thirty-six-year-old conservative, and Eisenhower’s becalmed America has become 1969’s lurid turmoil of technology, fantasy, drugs, and violence. Rabbit is abandoned by his family, his home invaded by a runaway and a radical, his past reduced to a ruined inner landscape; still he clings to semblances of decency and responsibility, and yearns to belong and to believe."

I loved the book (and the character of Harry Angstrom) and I have the third book and will be reading that soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment