Tuesday, October 12, 2021

MAO II by Don Delillo

 Finished Mo 10/11/21

This is one of my old hardbacks and no notation when or where I got it.

This might make a good movie, but the book was slightly less than impressive. There were some very interesting scenes and ideas, but I felt it lacked a compelling storyline. 

The beginning sequence of the mass wedding by Rev. Sun Young Moon was very interesting.

"The future belongs to crowds"

A connection between novelists and terrorists. Writers have begun to lose the power to shape and influence. "Years ago I used to think it was possible for a novelist to alter the inner life of the culture. Now bomb-makers and gunment have taken that territory."


"The novel used to feet our search for meaning." But our desperation has led us toward something larger and darker. So we turn to the news, which provides an unremitting mood of catastrophe. ThThis is where we find emotional experience not available elsewhere. We don't need the novel."

A 'Deaf Child' sign: "When I saw that I thought DEAF CHILD. I thought the state that erects a sign for one child can't be so awful and unfeeling."

PLOT:

A couple caters to a reclusive writer.

A female photographer visits the author to take some photos of him.

His agent cooks up a plan to have the writer switch places with a poet being held by terrorists in Beruit.

The plot summary in Wikipedia is worth looking at and more informative than the book. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao_II

I didn't dislike the book and I would be willing to read another by DeLillo. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment