Saturday, May 30, 2015

THE MIDNIGHT BAND OF MERCY by Michael Blaine


Finished Sa 5/30/15

I don't know why I didn't read this straight through, but I read a few others at the same time; Part of DR. ZHIVAGO, THE GRIFTERS, and EUPHORIA.

This was one of my books (trade paperback) that I bought at West Branch on Sa 10/1/05 for a buck, and I never read it.

This book really captures the corruption and social oppression of NY city during the last decade of the 19th century.

...the consignment of children to baby farms, banks fraudulently closing without paying their depositors, false breach-of-promise lawsuits, scams based on strangers collecting insurance payments on the lives of slum children, and a real estate scandal involving Manhattan's leading church as a willful slumlord. ....

Amazon books link-

http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Band-Mercy-Michael-Blaine-ebook/dp/B004J4X9RY

No comments:

Post a Comment