Thursday, January 29, 2015

NIGHT FILM by Marisha Pessl

January Selection Contemporary Book Club

Finished Mo 1/26/15; the meeting was 6pm, Wednesday, the 28th.

I loved the book and almost all of the club loved it as well. I noticed that the book had an application that was designed for tablets and smart phones, but I couldn't get the PC or the Galaxy to take it. However, one of the other members couldn't get it to work on her smart phone. But, there is a wealth of info on the author's website about the book.

I made pretty extensive notes on the novel in my steno book for the meeting.
The novel is a swarm of subplots and develops a myriad of characters, but everything hangs together very well. My only suggestion was that there might have been a better ending, but I can live with it.

The book could be viewed as a novel of demon possession OR....just a man trying to save his daughter from a tragic death to cancer....by any means. I loved the way the book first presented the
'Black Magic' angle, and then the revelation about the cancer. I don't think that I've ever seen this done in any novel- a supernatural theme presented, and then reimagined as plausible fact.

Author's website-

http://marishapessl.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment