Tuesday, November 4, 2014

THE CLOWNS OF GOD by Morris West

Finished Mo 11/4/14

I pulled this one off one of the shelves in my living room, and I wrote on the flyleaf that I first completed the book on Fr 7/30/93 while I was having a Kenwood stereo system installed in my Hyundai Elantra. I have no recollection of the book, the stereo system, that particular day, or even that much about that particular car.

But, I loved the book this time around and it presents an intriguing premise. What would happen if a modern day pope got a direct revelation from God that the Parousia (The Second Coming) was imminent. The book shows that he would almost certainly be forced to abdicate his position by the clerical hierarchy because if the word got out it would result in a near complete breakdown of global society.

I thought that this author had written a book about what would happen if the bones of Christ were discovered to be buried in the Vatican, and it is discovered that a papal cover up has been in place for two millennia. Would the teachings of Christ as the basis of the Christian faith still be valid if it was shown to be that the resurrection never occurred? Apparently Morris West did not write this novel, but tonight I should be getting the film THE BODY from Netflix, and it is supposed to examine this philosophical question. Can't wait.

Author's page in wikipedia-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_West

Downs Syndrome and the book-
http://gerardnadal.com/2011/01/31/the-blessing-and-dignity-of-down-syndrome/

Amazon-
http://www.amazon.com/The-Clowns-God-Morris-West/dp/1902881842

No comments:

Post a Comment