Monday, November 7, 2011

CHARM CITY: A WALK THROUGH BALTIMORE by Madison Smartt Bell

Finished Mo 11/7/11

I read about half of this book, and skimmed to the end. I had high hopes for this book since I lived just a few miles away from Goucher College back in the mid 60's.


CHARM CITY is a mile wide, but only an inch deep. The book is chock full of detail, but the areas that I really enjoyed didn't last long enough, yet the sections that did not interest me, seemed to go on forever. I realize that to profile an entire city is a daunting task, yet I felt that, in the end, I was overwhelmed by the blizzard of information at the expense of my interest.

Maybe the book would have been more accessible if he had shared his 'walking tour' with only one other person, and that character could have added a bit more focus. The author has a great writing style, and I plan to check out one of his novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment