Saturday, July 15, 2023

THE KINKS KRONIKLES by John Mendelssohn

 Refinished Fr 7/14/23

In two days...

This is one of my ancient trade paperbacks. I originally finished this on Th 7/13/06 (nearly 17 years to the day) and it was in my work bag for about a week. And, then I refinished again on Sa 11/5/16.

John Mendelssohn was a writer for Rolling Stone and Creem magazine. He was an early fan of The Kinks and even wrote the liner notes for a few Kinks albums. 

The book is a great trove of information about the early Kinks. The story ends too early because the book was published in 1985. 

Fun Fact: The Kinks did not begin in sleazy bars and trashy nightclubs, but they got their start at high society parties. Robert Wace was a rich young man who fronted the Kinks because he wanted to be a singer. One night he got booed, and Ray offered to take over. 

Mendelssohn would review each individual song on the early albums and it was great having Amazon Music Unlimited so that I could hear each album as I was reading the book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment