Tuesday, November 22, 2022

BREATHING THE SAME AIR- A Memoir of my Time with XTC during the making of The Big Express by Andrew M. Stafford

 Finished Mo 11/21/22

This is an eBook that I borrowed on Kindle. I've been enjoying all of the records by XTC. I used to like this band but now I love them. They should have been as big as THE SMITHS. 

From the book's page at Amazon:

" In the spring of 1984, I was nineteen and had just been diagnosed with a lifelong illness. I wasn’t in a good place. Then something came along, which temporarily kicked the disease into touch. XTC were recording their seventh studio album not far from me. I decided to be brave and drive to where they were recording what would be The Big Express to see if I could say hello to my musical heroes. At best, I expected to take up no more than ten minutes of XTC’s time and come away with their autographs. But what I ended up with was more than I could ever have hoped for. Breathing the Same Air is an account of the two months I spent with Andy Partridge, Colin Moulding and Dave Gregory at Crescent Studios in Bath."

It was a short book and it's really just a recreation of a fan's chance to have complete access to the band of his dreams. 

The making of the record 'THE BIG EXPRESS' 

He meets Bob Dylan in a joke shop

On one release of the song 'Respectable Street' the band is singing 'abortion' and not 'absorption'.

The accent of people from 'West Country' is different from the rest of the country. This is where the hayseeds live.

No comments:

Post a Comment