Sunday, July 17, 2022

NELSON ALGREN: A Life on the Wild Side by Bettina Drew

 Refinished Sa 7/16/22

This is one of my old trade paperbacks that I bought at The Old Book Barn on Sa 6/1/96 and according to the note on the flyleaf that I finished on Sa 8/3/96 "in 2 days".

Best known for his 1949 novel, 'THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM'. I ordered this book from Amazon and I remember seeing the movie (Frank Sinatra, Arnold Stang), but I don't think I've read the novel.

Also, famous for his sexual affair with Simone de Beauvoir (THE SECOND SEX). They were friends and lovers for decades, yet Jean-Paul Sartre was the true love of her life.

Born in Detroit, but spent most of his life in Chicago.

He attended the University of Illinois at Champaign, Il. during the roaring twenties. I found it odd that all he wished for during his 'riding the rails' phase during the 20's was not to get 'conned' by all the shady characters that he was hanging around with. 

Algren is known as an author of the 30's and 40's who couldn't adjust to the changing times. When he went to Vietnam during the sixties to cover the war he got involved with smuggling items from the PX. He failed at this and was beaten up by other thieves. 

Nelson Algren (3/28/1909- 5/9/1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment