Saturday, April 30, 2022

HOLD TIGHT by Harlan Coben

 Finished Fr 4/29/22

I borrowed this e-book from the library because I saw the Netflix series 'HOLD TIGHT'. Netflix set the series in Gdansk, Poland and the book was set in New Jersey. I had trouble understanding the movie but the book was also packed with too many characters and storylines. It seemed to lack focus.

It addresses the problem of parents keeping tabs on their children. Is it OK to read your children's social media accounts and follow their emails and texts? A very interesting concept but a ham-fisted presentation.

A young high school student overdoses and this event reveals a ring of drug traffickers.  

From BookBrowse.com:

"Tia and Mike Baye never imagined they'd become spying, overprotective parents. But their sixteen-year-old son Adam has been unusually distant and aloof lately, and after the recent suicide of his classmate, Spencer Hill, they can't help but worry. They install a spy program on Adam's computer and within days they are jolted by a strange message to their son from an unknown correspondent: "Just stay quiet and all safe." Meanwhile, browsing through an online memorial for her son, Betsy Hill is struck by one photo in particular - it appears to have been taken on the night of Spencer's death . . . and he wasn't alone. She thinks it's Adam Baye standing just outside the camera's range, and when Adam goes missing, it soon becomes clear that something deep and sinister has infected their community. Uncovering the secrets and lies at the heart of Spencer's death may be the only thing that can help Betsy move on - and perhaps save Adam's life."

A valid criticism of the book at Amazon:

"I am sorry for the three star rating because Coben is such a wonderful storyteller and I'm wondering if it's an inability on my part to comprehend someone who writes a story by introducing a new family or person in the first five chapters and expects me to remember what happened in chapter one and then figure out where the main plot is going. Eventually he pulls it all together and if I could have kept all the nuances straight in my mind I would have enjoyed the story more. For Coben lovers it will make no difference as I say, it could just be me."

Sometimes Harlan Coben hits the mark but this one is a miss.


No comments:

Post a Comment