Sunday, January 30, 2022

RABBIT IS RICH by John Updike

 Finished Th 1/26/22

This is one of my ancient paperbacks. It doesn't say when I last read the book, but I know I've read this at least twice, but it was probably a different copy. 'The Rabbit' series is one of my favorites and every time I read one of them, I see something different that I love.

Harry has inherited his father in laws' Toyota dealership and he's enjoying a solid middle class lifestyle, but he is not 100% happy- not even close. His son Nelson seems impossible to grow up, his wife drink too much, and he's in 'lust' with one of his friends wives. There's a strange section in the novel about a wife swap while Harry and his friends are on vacation in the Caribbean. He doesn't get to sleep with the woman that he wants because Nelson forces them to return to the US early. Also, Harry is obsessed with finding out if his lover, Ruth, gave birth to their daughter many years before.  

I should look for more books by Updike that are not tied to Harry Angstrom. 

A link to the book's page at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_Is_Rich

Updike's page at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Updike#Novels


No comments:

Post a Comment