Friday, December 24, 2021

COTTON COMES TO HARLEM by Chester Himes

Refinished Th 12/23/21

This is one of my trade paperbacks that I bought at The Book Barn on Su 10/17/99. According to the flyleaf "I read about 1/2 and then skimmed to the end on Thanksgiving, 11/25 at The Club. 

I think I enjoyed the novel more on the second time around. I liked the writing and I'll keep my eye out for more novels by Chester Himes.

 Part of the journal entry for Th 12/23/21:

"I finished reading 'COTTON COMES TO HARLEM' by Chester Himes on the couch. The adventures of GRAVEYARD JONES and COFFIN ED JOHNSON. The ' Back To Africa Movement' clashes with the 'Back To The South' movement, and $87,000 is concealed in a bale of cotton. In the end, an old black homeless man had the money all along and escaped to Africa and lived happily ever after."

The book's page at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Comes_to_Harlem_(novel)

The plot was fairly complex and the 'Plot' at Wikipedia was helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment