Saturday, April 10, 2021

AMNESIA MOON by Jonathan Lethem

 Read to page 200 and skimmed to the end- Fr 4/9/21

A few lines form KIRKUS:

" Intriguing, to a point. But explanations are never forthcoming, and readers wanting substance rather than sheer weirdness, no matter how imaginative, won't be satisfied."

From the book's page at Amazon:

"In Jonathan Lethem's wryly funny novel, we meet a young man named Chaos, who's living in a movie theater in post-apocalyptic Wyoming, drinking alcohol, and eating food out of cans.

It's an unusual and at times unbearable existence, but Chaos soon discovers that his post-nuclear reality may have no connection to the truth. So he takes to the road with a girl named Melinda in order to find answers. As the pair travels through the United States they find that, while each town has been affected differently by the mysterious source of the apocalypse, none of the people they meet can fill in their incomplete memories or answer their questions. Gradually, figures from Chaos's past, including some who appear only under the influence of intravenously administered drugs, make Chaos remember some of his forgotten life as a man named Moon."

A customer's review that sums up my feelings about the novel:

"There are some really cool ideas that kept me intrigued, but I felt more obligated to keep reading as I had already started, than being excited to see where the story was going. To finish, there was no real culmination or wrap-up - the book sort of just ended. I was disappointed as this book had been recommended to me."..."This book has some really cool ideas that don't really ever get fleshed out or come together. Some stuff happens to the character, he meets some people, then it just sort of ends. I'm not sure what the point of the whole exercise was."

A link to the book's page at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesia_Moon

I was drawn to reread this novel because I really liked 'MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN' and although 'AMNESIA MOON' didn't move me, I would definitely give Lethem another chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment