Saturday, February 13, 2021

FEAR OF FLYING by Erica Jong

 Finished Fr 2/12/21

This is a classic book and one of my ancient paperbacks. There is nothing on the flyleaf, so I guess I never read it. 

Isadora Wing is attending a psychiatric conference in Vienna with her husband and actively engaged in a sexual affair with another analyst. 

Brian was Isadora's first husband and he was a genius who went over the edge into schizophrenia. Bennett, her second husband and the man she is cheating on, is of Asian descent. Adrian is her English analyst and lover. He is the embodiment of 'Pan'- a sexual and pleasure seeking individual.  

Essentially the book is a 'call to arms' for women who are trapped in stagnant or unfulfilled marriages.

She advances the theory of the 'zipless fuck'. Women should have the same rights as men to engage in sex without emotional attachments.

It's an easy read and I thought that it was well written. The book came out in 1973 and I wonder if things have changed that much. I guess it depends on where you are. In metropolitan areas I think women are in a more equal place with me. However, in religious areas and in very rural sections of the country the values of Mayberry are still holding strong. 

A link to the book at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_Flying_(novel)


No comments:

Post a Comment