Saturday, August 4, 2018

THE COMMITMENTS by Roddy Doyle

Finished Fr 8/3/18

I bought this trilogy from Amazon Books after reading SMILE for the Contemporary Book Club. I was the only one in the group who liked the book, and I felt that I needed to read more by this author. THE COMMITMENTS, THE SNAPPER, and THE VAN are all sections of this book which is known as 'THE BARRYTOWN TRILOGY'. 'Barrytown' is an area in Dublin, Ireland north of the River Liffey.

This is Doyle's first novel, and it's only 141 pages. It's a simple story of a group of young people who fall under the spell of American Soul Music, struggle to master their instruments, and learn to perform.

Large parts of the book is dialog and lyrics (capital letters) of the songs.

It's worth a look, but the movie that the book is based is far superior. And the soundtrack (which I have) is essential to both the book and the film.

Link to the book's page at wikipedia-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Commitments_(novel)

PS- the power went off just as I was finishing this entry, but luckily nothing was lost. The power on Westview goes off more than any other place that I've ever lived- it's like Eastern Europe during the 50's!

No comments:

Post a Comment