Thursday, April 13, 2017

THE PILOT'S WIFE by Anita Shreve

This is one of my paperbacks and according to the flyleaf I first completed the novel on my motorcycle trip to Wisconsin and Michigan, Sa 9/13/03.

I refinished, Tu 4/11/17 and the reason I selected the book was that I loved ALL HE EVER WANTED which was also written by Anita Shreve.

The storyline-
Kathryn Lyons is married to a commercial pilot, Jack. They have a teenaged daughter, Mattie, and Kathryn is very close to her grandmother, Julia, who raised her after her parents died in an accident.

Early one morning a representative of the pilots union, Robert Hart, arrives at Kathryn's home to inform the family that Jack has died in a plane crash.

Later, the airline finds the 'tapes' and believes that Jack committed suicide and thus caused the deaths of over a hundred passengers on the plane.
Then, Kathryn learns that Jack actually had another family in England. He had married a woman named Muire Boland, and fathered two children, Dieadre, eight, and Dermot, two.

Kathryn and Robert travel to England and Kathryn confronts Muire. She then finds out that not only has Jack been living 'another life', but he is also involved in the Irish conflict. Explosives on the plane are what caused the crash and they were set off to discredit 'the movement'.

A lot of the novel is set at the Lyons home which is on the Atlantic coast in Massachusetts.

This was a compelling novel, but I liked ALL HE EVER WANTED a bit more. I'd still read more by this author.


No comments:

Post a Comment