Sunday, February 21, 2016

PLAYERS AT THE GAME OF PEOPLE by John Brunner

Finished Th 2/18/16

This is one of my books and I picked it up after reading POLYMATH by John Brunner.

Aliens/celestial creatures are referred to as 'the owners' by the protagonist, Godwin Harpinshield, but 'who' or 'what' they are is never addressed.

My Guess-

'Owners' cannot experience feeling and vicariously live through the humans under their psychic control. This is the Faustian Deal, the humans get their wishes fulfilled and the aliens/celestial creatures get insight into a human inner life.

Godwins senses that this relationship is very close to that of a human owner and his pet.

Godwin was a drunk and an addict when he connects with his 'owner' and his 'wish' is to become a man of leisure, and that's what he gets.

Although the book is utterly captivating, it was a bit hard to get into, but well worth the effort. I bought this hardback novel in Champaign after the Overlooked Film Festival in April of 2002. The first time through, I only skimmed it, but this time I really dug it.

No comments:

Post a Comment