Thursday, April 24, 2014

A MILLION LITTLE PIECES by James Frey

Re-read and finished Mo 4/21/14. I bought this book at University City in St. Louis before the film, CACHE, at the Tivoli Theater on Th 2/16/06, and I finished it the first time on We 2/22/06.

The controversy about the book was that he 'lied' about certain 'facts', so it wasn't a memoir, but a book of fiction. Who cares? It's one of the best works about beating addiction that has ever been written. He maintains that he was just writing a book, and Oprah and her rabid fans had a point, but overreacted. But I think that the real problem is that he refused to acknowledge the supremacy of the AA philosophy. He got sober without god or 'a higher power', and he didn't believe in any of the 'Twelve Steps'.

He sold over 4 million books, but his publisher was made to offer a 'money back guarantee', but only 1,200 people asked for their money back when they learned about the 'lies' in the book.

When I finished the book this time, I watched several interviews on Youtube, and I got his novel which he wrote after 'Pieces', BRIGHT SHINY DAY which I'll be starting later today. He said in an interview that this is 'historical fiction' and features the city of LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment