Wednesday, May 4, 2011

THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY by Patricia Highsmith

This is one of the novels that I took with me on my trip to Surprise, Arizona in late April, 2001. I had seen the film several years ago, and I enjoyed the novel more. Patricia Highsmith offers a unique view inside the mind of a very disturbing narrator. Tom Ripley comes across as an ironic figure, yet unquestionably psychopathic. The plotting is fast paced, and can get convoluted as Tom switches identities to avoid capture for his murders. The book has an almost wry ending, and seems to be a hallmark of Highsmith's work. Not only does it appear that his murders will not be detected, but Tom also stands to receive an inheritance from one of his victims. However, paranoia of his actions just may punish him for the rest of his life. Patricia Highsmith has created a quality piece of psychological fiction, and Tom Ripley is a 'one of a kind' character.

No comments:

Post a Comment