Monday, February 21, 2011

SAVAGES by Don Winslow

SAVAGES is a terse, pithy, and hard-hitting novel which will undoubtedly make a dynamite movie. Two very different individuals pool their talents and become kingpins in the lucrative hydroponic super-marijuana market in Southern California. This unlikely partnership consists of Chon, an ex-special forces soldier who is trained in the Art of The Kill, and Ben who is an intellectual who embraces the harmonious Zen aspects of life. And, the very rich, wild-child mall brat, Ophelia who just happens to be the lover of both of these two very different men. How these three individuals incur the wrath of a particularly vicious Mexican drug cartel is a terrific story, and this novel had me glued to the page from start to finish.

On Saturday May 18, 2013 I saw the film which was directed by Oliver Stone. I got a free coupon from Family Video. I picked up the book on Monday at the library, and read it in a couple of days, never realizing that I had read it before. Although the cover of the book seemed vaguely familiar. When I put the title in Good Reads as 'Currently Reading', my old review popped up. 'Will make a good movie'....indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment