Saturday, August 17, 2024

DEMON COPPERHEAD by Barbara Kingsolver

 Refinished Fr 8/16/24

This is the second time that I've read this book and I finished the first time on Mo 12/4/23.

For some reason it didn't occur to me that I'd read the book until I got to Demon's name- Damon Fields. And then I remembered his life in foster care with 'The Coach'.

I also didn't realize that the entire book is an homage to Charles Dicken's novel, 'David Copperfield'. Unfortunately, there are sections of America that experience poverty and economic indifference at the level that was common in the mid 19th century. 

While reading the novel I saw Brian Simpson on a podcast and he was talking about his experiences in foster care. Simpson attended 13 different 'homes' before he left the system. Then he went to the Marines where he did two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.  

This time I followed through and ordered another book by Barbara Kingsolver. 'THE LACUNA' is scheduled to arrive on Monday, 8/19. 

Link to a review of the book:

https://youthcomm.org/story/book-review-spilling-the-greasy-beans-on-demon-copperhead/

No comments:

Post a Comment