Tuesday, May 9, 2023

RUNNING THE LIGHT by Sam Tallent

 Finished Mo 5/8/23- My first audiobook and I downloaded from the library and listened to it via Hoopla.

I watched Sam Tallent on J.R.E a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still surprised about how funny his book is.

I loved listening to this book walking through Washington Park and I would love to own this novel because Tallent is a REAL writer. His descriptions are delightful!

From the book's page at Amazon:

"Debauched, divorced and courting death, Billy Ray Schafer is a comedian who has forgotten how to laugh. Over the course of seven spun-out days across the American Southwest, he travels from from hell gig to hell gig in search of a reason to keep living in this bleak and violent glimpse into the psyche of a thoroughly ruined man. Ex-inmate, ex-husband, ex-father - comedian is the only title Schafer has left. Trapped in the wreckage of his wasted career, Billy Ray knows the answer to the question: what happens when the opportunity doesn’t come - or worse - it comes and goes?"

I plan to listen to more audiobooks from the library in the future.

A link to an exceptional review in the Chicago Reader:

https://chicagoreader.com/arts-culture/the-sad-funny-monster-in-running-the-light/

No comments:

Post a Comment